"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, September 30, 2013

Look at the Birds - September 30, 2013


We have moved to a new website!  The same weekly devotionals and Verse for the Day, plus a new blog and information about my book, Land of My Dreams, scheduled for release in March 2013!


“Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” Matthew 6:26, 27

Swinging precariously in the snowy wind, the little bird clung tenaciously to the suet feeder—his source of sustenance in the bitter cold. He had no fear of the swinging height of the feeder, or of the wind. He had no concern about finding food even though everything was buried under a blanket of snow.
I watched him for hours. Every time I looked out the window I would see him going from feeder to feeder trying both suet and seed. Only the blue-jays scared him away. Yet even then, he only relinquished his place for a time, retreating to the snowy patio and going back to the feeders when the bigger birds disappeared.
Even though I know God is sovereign, completely in control of even the things I consider to be problems or hindrances, I don’t rest in Him the way that little bird does. I worry and get upset, I talk to people about problems and possible solutions more than I pray about them. I don’t rest in Him the way I should. I know He will never leave me or forsake me, but I don’t act like it.
I counsel people to put their trust in God, but I fail as often as many of them do. One of the things I desire the most is to trust Him more fully with the circumstances He allows.
The little bird feeding away as the feeder sways back and forth is not swaying in his trust. He goes with the wind, unafraid that it might dash him onto the rocks below, not questioning whether the source of his sustenance will be there tomorrow. He knows no fear.
Whatever disturbs my rest the most I choose today to lay it at the feet of Jesus. I leave it there, knowing that worrying will add not a single hour to my life, but it can subtract a few. Like the birds of the air, I must trust God to provide all I need moment by moment.

© Copyright, by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman, December 14, 2011. All Rights Reserved.
Use only by permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment