"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, August 26, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - August 26, 2013

Wedding Preparations

At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’” Matthew 25:6

Weddings are on my mind. As my son’s wedding day draws close, we have showers, gifts, invitation responses, and plans to finalize. I have my dress, and family and friends are invited. It is an exciting and bittersweet time of life, as he and his fiancĂ©e put the finishing touches on their plans.

My husband and I were engaged for 22 months. We had a long time to anticipate our wedding day. In those days we didn’t use wedding coordinators. Dear church friends helped with everything. There were six weddings in our church that summer, and ours was the fifth. We received a lot of excellent advice from the ones who went before on how to prepare.

Jesus refers to weddings several times in the New Testament. He compares His Second Coming to the bridegroom coming to claim his bride. He is the Bridegroom and the believers, are His Bride. I must prepare for His coming with even more eager anticipation than for my own wedding. In Jewish weddings of His day, the bride didn’t know the exact time her bridegroom would come for her. And we don’t know when Jesus will come for us.

Jesus told a parable about ten virgins who went out to meet the bridegroom. Five had plenty of oil for their lamps. Five didn’t bring enough oil. They begged the ones who were prepared for some oil, but finally went to buy some. It’s impossible to get to heaven because you know someone who was prepared. While they were gone, the bridegroom came, but they missed him. The doors to the wedding feast were closed and bridegroom said he didn’t know them.

One reason I have led women’s Bible studies for most of my adult life is to give women a chance to prepare to meet Jesus on that day. I used to ask my kids if they would invite Jesus along when they went to the movies, when they were with friends, or on a date. We need to be ready at any time, never growing lax or lazy, never thinking spiritual things can wait.

If your life were to end tonight, would He say He didn’t know you and close the door, or invite you into the feast as His beloved bride? Live in joyful expectation of His coming.

 
© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment