"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, July 29, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - July 29


The Brown Cloud of Sin

“Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.”
Psalm 51:2
 
The ominous brown cloud moved closer and closer, obscuring the mountains and valley from our view. Dust storms were not a common thing in our mountain community, but this one, silent and relentless in its approach, would soon engulf us. We scuttled to close windows and doors against the onslaught, preferring the sweltering heat to the brown fog, of a “haboob.”

As the shroud of the gritty cloud of dust, surrounded us, I felt trapped and threatened. Like the feeling of guilt when I have done or said something wrong, the air made me feel dirty. A shower may wash away dust, but it does nothing for guilt and shame. When I was little, I tried to hide the evidence of things I did wrong. I can get away with hiding things for a little while, but I will be found out.

Shame and guilt isn’t always visible to the world like the grit and grime of a sandstorm, but it sullies our senses as dust clings to sweat and clothing. A shower washes the outside, but the heart knowledge of my wrongs remains. Good deeds are a palliative measure, but they don’t rid my spirit of the heaviness of sin.

Just before He died, Jesus washed the feet of His disciples, telling them that unless He washed them, they could have no part of Him. Not only is there a barrier between me and the person I’ve wronged, but a wall goes up between God and I as well. He sees into my heart and knows me in ways no one on earth ever will.

True cleansing has to come from the inside, where Jesus tells us that all evil originates. Confessing my wrong thoughts and actions to God enables me feel His forgiveness. Once I am in right standing with Him, I find myself wanting to please Him. When I please God, other situations can begin to heal.

The best remedy for a brown fog of my spirit is the cleansing work of the Holy Spirit.

© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment