"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, June 3, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - June 3


Forgiveness
 
“‘Come now, let us settle the matter,’ says the Lord. ‘Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.’”
 It was ruined. My favorite red shirt with the rhinestone collar would never be right again. It was my own fault. I am famous for trying to do more than one thing at once. Now, after attempting to carry a stack of books and papers while the clear coat of nail polish dried, I decided to leave it to dry. I didn’t want to smear it worse.
The next day, I attempted to scratch it off, but a whitish spot still clung to the fabric. Very carefully, I tested some non-acetone polish remover on the underside of the hem. When I didn’t damage the fabric, I rubbed at the spot with the polish remover. To my dismay, it became even whiter. Nothing removed the stain.
Later, I realized how much like sin that spot is. Each one of us is special to God, loved for who He made us to be. But we do things we shouldn’t, thinking we’ll get away with it. Then the unexpected happens. Things don’t work out as we planned. It is no longer possible to cover over the mistake we made. It sits there, glaring at us, a blemish that cannot be hidden.
Though I might be successful in hiding what I’ve done from others, God sees. If I continue to pretend I can hide it from Him, I am no longer as useful to Him. There is a glaring spot, right in the middle that says sinner, hypocrite, liar, fake.
When I bring my sins before God, bowing in contrition, confessing in humility, humbling myself before His throne, He turns the spots and blemishes of my life into opportunities.  The things which once marred me become chances to see God’s great love and mercy by allowing Him to show me His forgiveness. They become illustrations I can share with others, showing that the forgiveness I have received is available to them also.
Unlike the shirt, which will never be worn outside my home again, once I receive God’s forgiveness, my testimony of God’s grace might be the means of someone else realizing God’s forgiveness. My loss becomes my gain.
 
© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman
 and http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com.
All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment