"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, June 17, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - June 17

Where Is Your Treasure

 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21

 A gaping hole was left in my life when my father died suddenly at the age of sixty-five. He was the one I went to with problems and questions. He was, as one friend put it, “our encyclopedia.” He was our advisor on both spiritual and worldly matters. After his death I developed an insatiable curiosity about heaven. I wanted to know where my father had gone.

 As I read and came to understand more about what a firm hope we have in heaven it began to dawn on me that Christian loved ones who go before are some of the treasures I have in heaven. They are kept safe, I have no need to worry or be concerned in any way about them.

 How very different it is with personal possessions here on earth. What if something happened to our life savings?

 If I truly entrust my eternal life, to Jesus, should I not also trust Him with our finances. Everything we own is a gift from God, not by the work of our hands, but by His grace. He cares when a sparrow falls to the ground, so it stands to reason that He will care even more about my needs. He gave His life for me, so He will see to my earthly needs as well as my future in heaven.

 The worries of this life are so insignificant. In the end the only thing that mattered for my father was his relationship to Jesus. It is the only thing that matters for any of us. More valuable though, is the legacy of faithfulness to his Lord Jesus Christ that is remembered by everyone who knew him, years after his death.

 What can I do for God that will make the maximum investment in this life? I must make certain my ideas of treasure match those of my heavenly father. Only then will I make a mark on the world that lives after me.

 © Copyright March, 14, 2011, Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and
All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment