"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, June 10, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - June 10


My Spiritual Garden

 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”
2 Peter 3:18

 I do not have a green thumb. The genes which make for a successful gardener passed me by without a trace. Therefore, I was surprised when the geraniums, in pots by a window in our garage for the winter, were not only growing leaves, but had a bloom. True, they were pale, sickly looking things, but they were alive.
 
The only plants I manage to grow each summer are giant pots of geraniums on my front porch. They not only survive my hit-or-miss watering and feeding techniques, they are not a favorite with the squirrels which seem to think flowers (not stems which must taste like broccoli) are a delicacy.
I know that food and water in regular helpings are necessary for plants to grow and thrive. Watering and praying go well together. Today I was struck by the notion that my plants are not so different than our relationship to God. Our spiritual lives require appropriate food, water, and light also. If I neglect my daily time of prayer and Bible reading, and fail to attend worship services on a regular basis, I wither and die spiritually. I fail to become the thriving specimen of God’s handiwork that He created me to be.
Scripture makes it plan that people need careful tending also. Fellowship encourages me to blossom and reach out to others. Prayer waters and refreshes my spirit, helping me to withstand the perils of life. Spending time in His word on a daily basis feeds my hungry soul, keeping me strong and healthy.
If I neglect any of these aspects of the Christian life, it affects all the others. I lose my beauty and fail to benefit myself or those around me. My spirit languishes without careful nurturing, just as my flowers wither without proper food, water, and light.

As my geraniums remind me daily, I can become a thing of beauty with proper care. Today, I choose to nurture my spirit as I nurture my plants. I want to be a thing of beauty in God’s garden of life.
 
© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman
and http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com.
All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment