"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, May 13, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - May 13


Straight Pathways

 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

          Letter in hand, I stood in the dining room, tears trickling down my cheeks. I was on the waiting list. God directed me to a career in nursing and now everything was on hold.
           My parents were willing to do whatever was necessary, but I had three younger siblings, and it wouldn’t be easy. We were comfortable, though not wealthy. After a summer vacation punctuated with college visits, I was accepted to Montana State University, three states away from my home.
           Aside from my family, I didn’t want to leave my best friends behind. I had become very involved in a campus ministry. I wanted to remain in-state for college. I continued to pray for a way to stay, but school began earlier at home than in Montana, and I accepted that God’s answer was no.
         The day before all my friends began class, I received a phone call from a woman identifying herself as an instructor from the College of Nursing. Shockwaves rippled through me. Someone had dropped out. There was a place for me if I still wanted it.
         God granted my request, but in His way, not mine. He is not subject to schedules we design. His timing is His own, designed to teach us to depend on Him. Though I have had many opportunities since, to learn that He always gives me His best, I have to be taught again and again. He opens doors to show me the way and closes them to prevent me taking the wrong direction. That summer had a profound impact on my life.
          When I can’t see where God is leading. When everything appears hopeless, and I don’t know what lies ahead, I often grow apprehensive about the future. However, God and I have a history. I can review incidents from the past, reminders of His faithfulness and care. He has never let me down.
           When I choose to entrust the circumstances of my life to Him, with all my heart, and acknowledge that He knows what I need, He makes my path straight.

© Copyright August 4, 2011 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and
http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com.
All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment