"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, April 22, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - April 22

The Marathon of Life
 
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”
2 Timothy 4:6-8

           Explosions changing the sounds of laughter and celebration at the finish line of the Boston Marathon to screams and cries will remain in the minds and hearts of Americans for a long time. "Moments like these, terrible as they are, don't show our weakness; they show our strength," said Suffolk County, Massachusetts, District Attorney Dan Conley.
           As spectators and participants rushed to the sides of burned and bleeding victims, the city streets of Boston took on the appearance of a war-zone rather than one of America’s oldest and most beautiful cities.
           Citizens worked together with law enforcement to apprehend the suspects, sending in photos and videos which identified the men whose acts of hatred changed life forever for hundreds. As Bostonians once fought together for the prize of a free country, they fought together to find the perpetrators of this unspeakable violence.
           Runners train for years to compete in marathons, sacrificing to win the prize of endurance. In training for a race, it is impossible to take a break. Muscles weaken and strength is lost if training lapses.
           Like marathoners, Christians must be in constant training, also. Spiritual muscles must be kept in continuous conditioning. Like the bombers in Boston, Satan is like a prowling lion, awaiting his opportunity to destroy us.
           Whether I understand what is happening or not, how I react to hardship reveals if my strength comes from the Lord. In the race of life our true nature is also shown by our spiritual strength. Because I profess to be a Christian, when difficulties come, people watch to see how I handle the pressure. Have I trained hard enough? Will I bend or will I break?
            Paul compared the Christian life to a race. The prize is that of eternal life, of spirits in top condition, minds sharp, hearts strong and unafraid, confidence as we look forward to reaching our goal and achieving our prize.
            I long for Christ’s appearing, depending on Him as I run my marathon of life. Leaning on Jesus Christ, I am never weak.




© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment