"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, April 8, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - April 8

Security

“Your castles and strongholds shall have bars of iron and bronze,
and as your day, so shall your strength, your rest and security, be.”
Deuteronomy 33:25
               Thin, gray clouds streaked the morning-blue sky from the east. To the west, the nearby mountains showed purple against the lightening sky. The early morning quiet wrapped its cocoon around me. Everything was peaceful and quiet. Inside, my mind and heart reeled with uncertainty about my husband’s job situation, young adult children moving ever onward and away, and my own irritating health issues. My surroundings stood at stark odds with my heart. I felt like the birds which mistakenly flew into our large picture windows, confused by the unseen barrier.
               Just a short time ago everything was settled, calm, and predictable. Life had a comforting, settled feeling. New adventures stood on the horizon, accompanied by a strong sense of purpose and direction. Now nothing felt right.
             “God’s in control, even when life spins out of control.” The voice whispered in my ear, but my heart wasn’t at rest. Like the unwelcome sound of a motorcycle in the valley below, a gnawing sense of the unfamiliar had wormed its way into my heart, robbing me of joy and numbing my outlook. My comfort zone had disappeared. I’ve always felt like an overcomer, but I just felt overcome.
                “Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him…” The words of Job worked their way into my mind. I certainly wasn’t being slain. I was only going through a rough patch. All kinds of hope and good things lay waiting up ahead.
                “For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.” The words of Deuteronomy 30 reminded me of the rewards of obedience. “Just keep on walking," the Spirit whispered. "Stay the course and everything will be fine.”
             Our faith doesn’t rest on feelings. It rests on the fact of God’s faithfulness to His promises. “Okay Lord, I don’t feel it, but I’m staying the course. I know you’re right alongside me. Bring me through.” I went forward to meet my day.
            Walk forward, in God’s strength and faithfulness. He will give you strength, rest and security, no matter what your circumstances. Stay the course, knowing the castle of your faith has bars of iron and bronze. You are safe in Him.
© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and
All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Really needed these words today.

    ReplyDelete