"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, April 1, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - April 1

Living with Purpose
 
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life
through our knowledge of him who called us by his own
glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3

             I sin like everyone else. I have wrong thoughts and motives, I get angry and lazy and waste some of the time God has given me, but I am a child of God because I have accepted the forgiveness He offers. Being a Christian doesn’t make you perfect any more than living in a garage makes you a car. I will never be perfect in this life, but I can grow to be more and more like Jesus if I make learning about Him a priority above all others.
              My favorite scripture is in the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy. As Moses says his farewell to the Israelites before his death, he gives them a message from God about how they are to live once they enter the Promised Land. He tells them, “‘Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day… They are not just idle words for you—they are your life.’”
               Once you have accepted the gift of salvation, you must live in a different manner than before. Changes have to be made. Just like you could not earn forgiveness and eternal life by good deeds, you can’t live the life Christ wants you to on your own strength. I fail many times a day, but the words of scripture give me hope. God doesn’t expect me to do it on my own.
               At the moment you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to live within you and empower you to do the works He plans for you. The first chapter of Second Peter lists a lot of attributes that Christians are to display. I am not capable of it on my own, but He knew that.
               I am not good, self-controlled, godly, kind, loving, and wise, but He is. As I read the Bible every day, I see what He wants from me and can ask for His help to do it. I need frequent reminders that I have been saved from my sins, and I want to understand all I can about the loving God who saved me.
               Begin your big adventure of the Christian life by letting Jesus become your Lord, the one who controls your life. Dig deep into His word every day to find all you need to become all He intends you to be. Live like the new creation you are.

© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and
http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com.
All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment