"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, April 29, 2013

2MefromHim Weekly Devotional - April 29

Considering Loss

"I even reckon all things as pure loss because of the priceless privilege of knowing
Christ Jesus my Lord.” Philippians 3:8 (Weymouth)

           
           I startled awake, panic pounding in my chest—one of those nightmares when you awaken thinking dream was real. I took some deep breaths. The dream wasn’t real, but the event that prompted it was.
           The evening before, my husband and I attended a meeting with our mountain neighbors about the high fire danger in our area. A woman from the forest service reassured us that our area is one of the most watched areas in the country, high on the priority list for having fire-fighting teams already in place. I wasn’t certain if I felt reassured or not, considering two teenage boys were caught building campfires in the forest at the end of our street.
           We came away with hands full of information about preparing for this most dangerous of fire seasons. Our conversation at dinner centered on how to prepare and what was most important to keep safe.
            Our world is an uncertain place. With bombings in Boston, unrest in the Middle East, threats from North Korea, a terrible drought at home, and uncertainty about my husband’s job, I feel as if everything solid is being pulled out from under me. Sometimes it becomes overwhelming.
           When Paul says he considers all things loss for the privilege of knowing Christ Jesus, he knew what he was talking about. He was beaten, flogged, ridiculed, threatened, shipwrecked, and homeless. He gave up the life of a well-to-do, educated Pharisee, the top of Jewish society, to live as an itinerate evangelist.
            I love my home, my library of books, my old family photographs, the memories tucked away in the attic, and the mountains surrounding our home, but that is not my treasure.
           The one thing I consider most important can never be taken from me, my relationship with and security in Jesus Christ. When things threaten from the outside, I must cling to my hope in God. If I lose all I possess, He is enough.
            When all else is lost, Christ is the solid rock beneath my feet. I can rest assured, because in Him, I am prepared.
© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment