"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Corinthians 12:9b

Monday, March 11, 2013

Behold the Lamb of God – Part I

He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.  Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—
John 1:12-13
             The cold metal of the folding chair stung my bare legs, and I fidgeted, trying to keep my Easter dress and ruffled petticoats underneath me. The thin, white gloves did nothing to keep my hands warm, and my feet were almost numb in my thin anklet socks and shiny, black, patent leather shoes. As I tucked my hands deeper into my coat pockets, I wished I could yank my Easter hat off my head and throw it away so the headband would stop digging into my head. Easter Sunrise service was miserable.
              The week before I had stood at the front of the church and answered, “Yes,” to the pastor’s question. I accepted Jesus Christ as the Son of God who died for my sins. It was a ritual all fourth graders in our denomination went through: four weeks of the pastor’s class, a profession of faith on Palm Sunday, and baptism by immersion on Easter Sunday.
               Later, as I searched the bushes in the back yard for bright-colored eggs with my sisters, I remember thinking, “My life will never be the same. I have given it to God.” Even at that tender age, I knew what I had done had a lifetime of implications.  
               Easter memories stand out very clear to this day. It was a time to dress up in a new dress, painstakingly made by my mother, and have pictures taken with my sisters and later with my cousins. My Easter basket brimmed over with plastic eggs full of candy I was only allowed to eat if I finished my dinner.
               Whatever your earliest Easter memories are, there comes a time when childhood memories need to give way to an understanding of the true meaning of our Lord’s death and resurrection.
               Have you come face to face with the risen Savior of the world? Have you been confronted with the understanding that Jesus Christ bore your sins in His sinless body as He was beaten and crucified? Have you made the decision to accept His sacrifice on your behalf and live your life in gratitude for His forgiveness?
               Determine to spend the next three weeks searching the scriptures for the true meaning of Easter. Throw away childish misunderstanding and receive Him as He intended you should.

 
© Copyright 2013 by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman and
http://normagail-2mefromhim.blogspot.com.
All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment